Carramea says: “What an opportunity to work for a union ‘committed to equality and justice’ which has a membership of over 50% women and was founded in 1889 by two of the most celebrated people in working-class history, Will Thorne (1857-1946) and Eleanor Marx (1855-1898), who campaigned for the eight-hour working day!”.
About this Role
GMB London Region is seeking applications from individuals for an Organiser position from those with a desire to help us build the membership of the union.
The role will be based in our Regional office in Hendon, but the successful applicant needs to be aware that they may be required to work from any location within GMB London Region at the discretion of the Regional Secretary, in order to meet the needs of the Region.
Applicants must have a proven record of the following:
- Campaigning, servicing, organising and recruitment
- A broad understanding of trade union objectives, and a strong personal commitment to these objectives
- A commitment to supporting and developing lay activists
- Applicants must be prepared to work as a team, and the successful candidate would display strong interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively in challenging environments
- On a personal basis, the applicant would need to display energy, enthusiasm, resilience, commitment, and an ability to use individual initiative.
Training will be provided to the successful candidates, who will receive an excellent package of benefits and terms and conditions. This includes a car, so all prospective candidates are required to be in possession of a full current driving licence. It should also be noted that the hours of work for the role are unspecified and will necessarily entail an element of unsocial hours, including weekend work. Periods of working away from home will also be required.
Since the backgrounds of suitable candidates can vary enormously, we are requesting that interested applicants should not only send a CV, but also a special report (up to 500 words), which should describe what you believe is involved in the role, and why you believe you would be successful. The official application form must be completed.
If you’d like to apply please request an application pack from Chris Bargery, PA to the Regional Secretary email@example.com
Deadline to apply: 12.00pm on Friday 28th May 2021
Applicants selected for interview after the closing date will be informed of the date in due course.
Please click here to access a copy of the Job Description for the role.